Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We're rambling again.

I am constantly amazed by several things. Amazement is what I survive on- if I were to lose the ability to find commonplace things uncommonly strange, then I would, for the first time in my life, be genuinely bored. And I can’t imagine what a horrible feeling that must be. On the other hand, rather, on a separate and parallel hand, it is also a matter of amazement how I see that what I consider amazing is actually quite commonplace. This duality of the mind, the ability to see something from your perspective AND a general perspective, simultaneously, is also quite interesting, albeit commonplace. But we will talk about some other day.
But what I was saying is that I hope I never stop being amazed. I hope I always look out of the car window. To be amazed is to allow another slightly absurd idea into your mind. And I like the idea of collecting absurd ideas. It's, well, absurd.

6 comments:

The Reluctant Rebel said...

Interesting. Most people complain about how they're always bored.

Sroyon said...

"The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise" (from The Life of Wen the Eternally Surprised)

In fact, I bet you stole this post from my blog picture caption which I just quoted. Wen is annoyed at not being acknowledged. Not to mention surprised.

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

nothing beats my amazement at the fact that you posted.

Subhalakshmi Roy said...

If people stopped being amazed at things, life would be rather bland with no surprises. I am amazed at how few people get this simple fact.

Backyard Tourist said...

FINALLY!!

i was beginning to think its going to snow in cal before you post...well winter hasnt even set in...so m truly amazed

i guess ur obsession with tht slinky of urs would be like a real life example of this,,,,,still slinking around ??

Symbolic.Fuschia said...

I've NEVER been bored...in fact my opinion is that people who say "I'm bored" are likely to be dangerous...like they either have a lazy mind or an empty one...